Barry's Model Railroad

Barry's Model Railroad

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pere Marquette locomotive needs a workout








As I look over my G scale items to run next spring, I came across my #1 gauge  Pere Marquette locomotive and caboose. I have been on a quest to find rolling stock for it. I prefer passenger cars however I will take anything in 1/32 scale. So far no luck what so ever. I might just have to resort to having cars custom painted. I have no idea as to what that would cost.

I have enough curved track to set up an 8ft circle, but I don't have a transformer yet to power the track. I still could use some straight track, a circle just isn't interesting enough. Plus I will need to be sure the place I lay the track is very level as the locomotive is very picky as to the levelness of the track.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barry-- I am glad I stumbled across your site. I've requested membership on your FB page as well. I'm a gray-beard USAF Veteran living in western South Dakota, but I was born and raised in Croswell & Lexington, MI, the home turf of many of the roads you're interested in. My favorite hangouts as a kid were wandering with my Dad at the old PM depot and along former Pere Marquette trackage in Croswell, MI, that he hung around and watched the noisy steam local activity as a kid not even a block from the old crossing less than 100 feet beyond his house. During his kid days the PM had already been bought-out by C&O and that's all I ever knew it as when I was born in 1960, but the history of it always set my imagination to running with a full head of steam. Later, living in Lapeer County, MI, and having a girlfriend from Vassar in Tuscola Co. to the north, we often wandered the intersections of formerly major trackage in that 'Corkpine City' to take photos of what was left of railroading in that once-busy town, and that was my first introduction to the Tuscola & Saginaw Bay railroad, once a favorite of mine before I joined the service in '81. I'd even visited their yard offices once, where one of the guys gave me an old TS&B calendar they had laying around, and where I also managed to wander through their one-time executive car (a sweet old heavyweight observation model) which at the time I was aboard her, she was parked next to the very grain elevator in Croswell my Dad had often played around as a kid. At her very best years before I saw her, she had gorgeous 1940s appointments and furnishings at one time, but by the time I snuck a wander through her, she was old and neglected, her veneer peeling and carpets badly sun-damaged. I would have loved a ride in her in her prime. Thanks for the inspiration for some great memories. The gmail address here (tsgtwhit@gmail.com) does work, but I don't check it much. As for future contact (should you need it) my preferred email is: celticblkprl@hotmail.com. Thanks for considering me as a follower here and on your FB page! Would that I had a layout of my own again, like the days when my Dad passed along his beloved HO set to me...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make comments