Barry's Model Railroad

Barry's Model Railroad

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Adding Streets to the Layout

Now that the table is built, it is time for me to start adding detail so the layout will take shape. I am starting with streets and sidewalks so the buildings placement makes sense. I am using products by Woodland Scenics to construct the road beds. I place paving tape down on the outline of the roads and fill the center of my outline with Smooth it power mixed with water at two parts smooth it to one part water. I then smooth over the mixture to make a flat road bed. I let the road bed dry over night, remove the paving tape and sand the surface until I get a smooth level road. Then I paint the road with Asphalt Top Coat and let dry. I then lightly sand the surface again to add an aging effect.

Woodland Scenics also has a dry transfer sheet of road stripes that I can apply when all my sanding is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make comments